If your family planning to cut your own Christmas tree this season, here are some options that come recommended by Go West readers. Please check the farm's website, or phone ahead, to make sure it's open when you plan to stop by and also that it offers the type of experience your family envisioned. Do you have another suggestion to make? Please do so in the comments!
- Camelot Christmas Tree Farm: 16380 S. Somonuak Road in DeKalb. 815-756-6559. (This got a number of mentions, was praised for its wonderful selection, friendly staff, free cookies and hot cider.)
- Williams Tree Farm: 4661 Yale Bridge Road in Rockton. 800-423-NOEL. (A reader says "A little further out of the way, but we LOVE it here.)
- Photo by Accretion Disc on Flickr.
- Larson's Family Farm: 4404 Somonauk Road in Sandwich. 815-786-2249.
- Spring Bluff Nursery: 41W130 Norris Road in Sugar Grove. 630-466-4278.
- Kuipers Family Farm: 1N318 Watson Road in Maple Park. 815-827-5200.
- Lee's Trees: 45W002 Lees Road in Lily Lake. 630-365-2116. (A reader says this spot offers cut-your-own trees and ready cut, as well as lots of pretty wreaths. You can have your photo taken every year, put it up on a wall and replace it with a current one the next year.)
- Marmion's Abbey Farms: 850 Butterfield Road (IL Route 56) in Aurora. 630-936-0054.