We have another fun giveaway for you today: Two Go West readers will win a copy of the book "Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad" by David Soman and Jacky Davis. And if you win and read it on Oct. 4, you'll likely be joined by more than 2 million people!
The book is the subject of this year's "Read for the Record," organized by Jumpstart in partnership with the Pearson Foundation. (Jumpstart is a national early education organization.) On Thursday, Oct. 4, people across the country are being urged to read "Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad" to show support for Jumpstart's mission -- working toward a day when every child in American enters school prepared for success. According to Jumpstart, children in low-income neighborhoods start kindergarten 60 percent behind children from affluent communities.
Jumpstart launched the Read for the Record campaign back in 2006 with "The Little Engine that Could." Last year, more than 2 million people participated in the effort. And since the campaign began, Jumpstart has raised more than $7 million for early education programs and provided more than 1 million books for children in low-income neighborhoods.
Bright Horizons, a Go West sponsor, participates across the country in the Read for the Record campaign. It is also a Chicago sponsor of the campaign and will be hosting the following related reading events:
- October 4 – Bright Horizons at the Atrium. 10:30 a.m. The Ladybug Girl character and Tommy Hawk from the Chicago Blackhawks will be there to read and do some fun activities with the kids.
- October 4 – Lincoln Park Zoo. Readings at the Farm. 9:30, 10 and 10:30 a.m.
- October 4 – Chicago Children’s Museum at Navy Pier. 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- October 4 – All 80 branches of the Chicago Public Libraries – times vary by location
- October 9 – Whole Foods Schaumburg – 10 a.m.
If you want to participate in the Read for the Record on Oct. 4:
- You can sign up to "Pledge to Read" on the Jumpstart website.
- you can check "Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad" out from your local library or buy it online or at a bookstore, but you can also read it for free online.
If you want to win a copy of the book ... Bright Horizons is providing two copies of "Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad" to give away to two lucky Go West readers. The giveaway will start now and end on Sunday, Sept. 30, at 8 p.m. Central time. There is no purchase necessary. The winner will be picked at random by random.org. Open to U.S. residents 18 and older.
To enter, you just have to answer the following question: What is currently your child's or children's favorite book to have read aloud? Please make sure to leave your email in the comments section so if you win, we can try to get you your book before Oct. 4.
Good luck! And thanks to Bright Horizons for its support of Go West and for making this giveaway possible.
Congrats to Lynda and Jennifer! Your comments were picked by random.org as the winners of this giveaway. Thanks to everyone who participated, and look for more great Go West giveaways soon!