Sure, the kids are heading back to school. And it's been weeks since the temperature hit 97 degrees. But the summer season does not officially end until Sept. 21. So here are 10 easy things your family can do over the next month to try to capture a few more golden moments to savor for the next nine months. Sorry, is that depressing?
- Spend a day at the Sandwich Fair, being held from Sept. 5 through 9 in the DeKalb County town of Sandwich. While there, wish the fair a Happy Birthday -- it's celebrating 125 years this year!
- Cheer on the boys of summer as they play a game at Fifth Third Ballpark in Geneva. The Kane County Cougars are at home Aug. 25 through Aug. 28, then again Sept. 1 through 3 before the Midwest League Playoffs get underway.
- Make a day of it at Arlington Racetrack - it's amazing how close you can get to the horses in the paddock. The track's final "Family Days" -- when kids get in free -- are on Sept. 2 and Sept. 3 (Labor Day), but racing continues through Sept. 30.
- Go miniature golfing. River View Miniature Golf in St. Charles' Pottawatomie Park is especially scenic, with views of the Fox River.
- Check out Water Wonders in North Aurora. Unlike the pools and splash parks, it won't close come Labor Day!
- Visit a Farmers Market, perhaps one that you've never been to before.
- Get nostalgic and enjoy a movie at the drive-in theater.
- Enjoy music in the great wide open. While most outdoor concert series have wrapped up for the season, Cantigny in Wheaton has afternoon concerts on Aug. 26, Sept. 2, and Sept. 3. And in North Aurora, the final Rhythm on the Riverfront concert at Riverfront Park will take place Aug. 23 with Small Shiny Things playing at 6:30 p.m.
- Make someone else's kids happy by stopping at a lemonade stand or a car wash fundraiser.
- Admire the stars at a free public star party; Cantigny in Wheaton will host one on Saturday, Sept. 1. Peck Farm Park in Geneva will host one on Saturday, Sept. 8.
Go West readers: Are there any activities or events that you hope to fit in before summer is over? Share them with us in the comments section!