Tomorow is Cinco de Mayo, which the History Channel tells me originally celebrated the Mexican army's victory over France in an 1862 battle. In the United States, it's become a day to celebrate Mexican culture and heritage. But here at Go West Young Mom, I figured it was also an awesome excuse to list some restaurants in Chicago's western suburbs where you can nab a great taco -- anytime of year.
* Bien Trucha: It's the little restaurant that's gotten some big press, including Chicago Magazine telling city-dwellers that the 40-mile drive to Geneva was worth it for the skirt steak and chorizo tacos. Bien Trucha was the overwhelming favorite in my casual poll, too, although nearly everyone who mentioned it also added it was a place to be enjoyed "without kids!" Bien Trucha doesn't take reservations and the wait can be long, but good things come to those who wait, right? Plus, the hostesses take your cell phone number and you can hit another nearby restaurant to grab a drink until your table is ready. Bien Trucha is located at 410 W. State St. in Geneva.
* El Faro: When a restaurant lists "lengua" (aka tongue) on the menu among your taco protein choices, you know you're in an authentic spot. El Faro is located in downtown Elgin at 9 N. State St. I love this place, even if I've never tried the lengua tacos.
* El Taco Grande: A nice family-owned restaurant at 6 N. River St. in Batavia.
l* Pancho's Restaurant: My friend Natalie says "if you want mariachi to go with great tacos," try Pancho's, located at 700 E. New York Street in Aurora. According to its website, a live mariachi band plays every Friday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
* Jalisco Tacos: When I asked my friend's sister, a proud Aurora native, for her recommendation, she practically shouted at me "Jalisco Tacos!" Natalie seconded, "Nothing fancy, just good." It has two locations -- 947 W. Galena Blvd. and 560 High St., both in Aurora.
The above restaurants got the most mentions, but here are a few more that friends recommended:
* El Coco Loco at 205 Main St. in West Chicago
* La Rosita Grocery Store at 131 N. Main St. in Crystal Lake
* El Puente at 112 E. Main St. in St. Charles
* Jose Maria's at 730 E. State St. in Geneva
* Zacatacos Restaurant & Taqueria Was named by the Chicago Tribune as having one of the "top five" tacos. Locations include 6224 W. Cermak Road in Berwyn, 2837 S. Harlem Ave. in Berwyen and 109 W. Boughton Road in Bolingbrook.
* La Quinta de los Reyes at 6431 Cermak Road in Berwyn
* Front Street Cantina at 577 South Third St. in Geneva
Don't see your favorite spot mentioned here? Add it in the comments section!