There's this little holiday called Mother's Day coming up on Sunday, May 13. Perhaps you've heard of it? Well, if you don't want to have to plan your special day, make a brunch reservation, or help your kids buy a gift for you, print this article out and leave it under your husband's coffee mug!
Of course a lot of these events are also wonderful opportunities for your kids to show how much they appreciate their grandmothers, aunts and other caregivers in their lives. Know of an event that should be featured here? Please add it in the comments section!
* Michaels craft stores are all about Mother's Day this month. Its stores are hosting a number of "Make It and Take It" events tied the holiday. (Michaels has locations in Geneva, North Aurora, Naperville, and Oswego and many other suburbs. Here's a list of its Illinois stores.) Below are the activities for children ages 3 and up. No registration is required:
- Mother's Day Frame: Friday, May 4, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Requires purchase of frame or words.
- Mother's Day Butterfly Card: Saturday, May 5, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Free.
- Mother's Day Mug: Wednesday, May 9, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Included with purchase of mug.
- Mother's Day Flower Clip: Friday, May 11, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Requires purchase of flower clip.
- Mother's Day Apron or T-Shirt: Saturday, May 12, from 10 a.m. to noon. Requires purchase of a t-shirt or apron.
- Mother's Day Button: Saturday, May 12, from noon to 2 p.m. Free event.
* The Little White School Museum in Oswego is hosting a "Mother's Day Make & Take Craft" on Saturday, May 5, and Sunday, May 6, from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Your kids will be able to make a special bouquet of hand-made paper flowers. This is a free event and while pre-registration is encouraged, walk-ins are welcome, too. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Call 630-554-2999 to register or for more info.
* The Dairy Queen at 703 E. State St. in Geneva is inviting kids to come in and decorate a cake for you on Friday, May 11, and Saturday, May 12. Reservations are required. Call 630-232-2244 to reserve your spot at the Geneva location. Not all DQs are participating in this activity. Call your local store or stop by to inquire.
* Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft stores are hosting a "Mother's Day Cupcake Magnet Make It & Take It" on Saturday, May 12, from 11 a.m. to noon. Kids will be able to create a personalized cupcake magnet using modeling clay. The event will be offered at all of its stores, including the ones on Route 59 in Naperville and in Geneva Commons.
* Williams-Sonoma in Geneva Commons is hosting a hands-on cupcake decorating event for kids on Saturday, May 12, from 10 a.m. to noon. This is a free event, but reservations are recommended. You can reach the store at 630-262-8390.
ON MOTHER'S DAY, SUNDAY MAY 13:
* If you want to treat yourself to a meal out on Mother's Day, Open Table has this list of Chicago-area restaurants offering special menus and deals. Many of them are in the city, but a quick scan and I spotted restaurants in Wheaton, Barrington, Lombard, Oak Brook, Elmhurst, Naperville and more.
* The Kane County Cougars will face the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at Fifth Third Park in Geneva on Sunday at 1 p.m. This is a "Sunday Funday," meaning there will be magicians, face painters, balloon artists, craft sand more. Moms are also invited on the field to play catch with their kids at noon.
* Salt Creek Ballet will be performing Princess Aurora's wedding from "The Sleeping Beauty" on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the McAninch Arts Center in Glen Ellyn, on the College of DuPage campus. The ballet featutes appearances by Little Red Riding Hood, Puss in Boots and the White Cat. Tickets are $30 for adults, $20 for youth.
* Moms play free at Stone Creek Miniature Golf in Geneva with a paid child's admission. Stone Creek is part of the Geneva Park District and is located in Wheeler Park. It is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday.