I am absolutely not the crafty type. But our newest guest contributor -- Valerie Gimre of Charming Touch Parties -- has come up with a DIY Halloween project that I think even I could pull off! -- Tara
This is such a fun time of year at our house. The kids have finally all decided on their costumes (and oh my ... that took a while). The costumes are neatly lined up for the big day. And I even overheard my children practicing their trick-or-treat manners this week. I can't help but feel some of their excitement, too.
But, as Moms, we also know what this holiday means ... money! This time of year gets expensive: The candy, the costumes, the decorations, the school party treats. If you're like me, and want to add some fun Halloween decor to your home without breaking the bank, I've got the project for you!
This DIY pumpkin decoration is also simple enough to involve the kiddos. This project took me only about one hour from start to finish (and a good part of that was drying time).
What you will need:
- Three small pumpkins (I bought mine for $2 each at Meijer)
- Gold paint or spray paint
- Silver paint
- Foam paint brushes
- Halloween (or color-appropriate) ribbon
- Hole puncher
- Computer and printer -- to print out letters (or you could use stickers)
- Paint entire pumpkin (stem included) gold or bronze. Allow to dry.
- Use circle foam paint brush and dab with silver polka dots randomly over pumpkin. Allow to dry.
- Print out letters to spell "Boo." I used a special circle cutter to get the desired shape and size, but you can simply trace the opening of a cup.
- Hole punch the paper circles and thread ribbon through. Attach ribbon and circles to pumpkin.
Note: You could buy more pumpkins and use this same DIY project to spell a child's name, your last name, or other Halloween words (i.e. SPOOKY, CREEPY, EEK, etc.). I think this would look really neat on your mantle, spelling our your last name. (Hmmm ... I might have to try that next year!)
That's IT. Easy, fun and inexpensive. I hope you like your DIY pumpkins as much as I like mine!
Valerie Gimre is the owner and founder of Charming Touch Parties, an event design and planning business based in Geneva, Ill. Charming Touch Parties creates fun, detail-driven events for children and adults. Valerie lives in Geneva with her husband, twin 6-year-old boys and her 4 1/2-year-old daughter .